Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Missing

I thought I would post more about the return to home, but it is so surreal and always changing and re-shifting that it is hard to keep up with the readjusted life. Basically I am making excuses for being a liver instead of a writer these past few months.

Things I remember, but didn't write down(which is always falsified information, because if anyone knows a writer, the reason we write is because we have terrible memories)about what it was like readjusting and the things I love about being home - here it goes:

I love that the grocery cashier helps me bag my groceries and that there are a kabillion yellow, plastic bags at the end of the line for my use if I choose not to be "green." (not that Istanbul didn't have bags, but they were always tossed at you at the end of the line and the expectation was self-bagging and fast - two things that do not translate well with children)

I love the turney-grocery bag thingees at Walmart.

Attending Disney on Ice.

I loved seeing Mexicans working on the landscaping at Chili's. I forgot about even having Mexicans living nearby.

I love hearing languages that I can't even recognize being spoken everywhere I go.

Getting a bagel with cream cheese and hot coccoa at 7-11 in the morning. I try to hold back and only get it once a week.

Getting a book I want in 3 days for 5 dollars.

Making homemade pizza with 3 dollar mozzarella instead of 8 YTL kasarli peynir.

Sitting at a "bar" nearby with friends and one orders a pita with chicken, the other orders salmon, another calamari, and myself a creme brulee. And EVERYTHING was delicious.

Signing my son up for 3 different athletic-based activities instead of one, weekly ballet class.

Driving to church in 15 minutes. Staying for 3 hours. Driving home in 15 minutes.

Being able to go to a pediatrician within walking distance any day of the week.

Realizing that so much of my life revolves around what I eat and what my kids need.

This is not a full list, but because of the delay it will never all come.

1 comment:

  1. Brazil has mozzerella cheese, athletic activities for Calvino, nearby pediatricians, and international restaurants. There's a Wal-Mart, too, but I don't know if they have the turnstile bagger. On the other hand, no one here pumps their own gas, so there's that trade off. And I haven't checked into it, but there have got to be several local churches. Oh, and I can't promise bagels, but the school does provide snacks and great hot coccoa for teachers every morning. :)

    ReplyDelete