Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Driver's Driver

We drive a lot in NJ. I think about it a lot and there are such specific things I look at as I drive to those routine places we always go: to grandma's, to the beach, to and from our home, and of course grocery shopping.

I love looking under the Rte 27 bridge in Highland Park which I wrote about previously here.

But I also have these other things. Like this one sign on Plainfield Ave in Edison is in front of an older looking Victorian house. It is a picture of an old time film camera for talkies and it has a name underneath, but there is nothing that looks like any movie would be shot, produced, edited, or even viewed in the structure it is in front of. I always wonder whether someone has a failed videography business inside. Or maybe it is booming and the owner is just thrifty.

I also look at the pedestrian bridge spanning Rte 18 near St. Thomas the Apostle church. My eyes always follow it and sometimes I get distracted and follow it up so much that I forget I am on the road. I always use this bridge as the bridge I think about when I think of people throwing things off of bridges at cars (horrible thought, but totally the bridge that pops into view when it comes up). I also think about the handful of times I crossed it (or maybe just once), and I can't really remember what the reason was (solidifying that it was probably just one occurrence just to see if I could get across). In NJ these bridges always interest me, because I wonder, since everyone is in cars, who uses these things? I guess, secretly, I am always trying to catch a glimpse of someone pitter pattering across.

No comments:

Post a Comment